Monday, July 24, 2006

awnings, gypsies and BBQs - wot diet?

Had a glorious weekend end away with friends, albeit without my beloved camper. In the end I didn't even need to pitch my tent, as I was offered sleeping space in a friend's awning...perfect!
It was a weekend to just get away from everything, and just enjoy good company. The weather wasn't as good as it might have been, but it didn't change my plans in any way.

Saturday night was a little edgy as a group of travellers spent the day trying to gain access to the campsite. The campsite owner was vigilant all day, and the Gardai cruised past in unmarked carts very regularly to check on us all. In the end the travellers parked up on some public land just above the campsite, and were given 24 hours grace. I did feel a little worried not be sleeping in the relative safety of my lockable camper that night. But the campsite owner pulled a 24 hour shift, and with the help of his family and friends he had the campsite under supervision all night long. The only slight agro were some of the younger lads trying to kick things off and living up to their stereotypes, but the older ones were little or no bother at all. There was a bit of noise and fuss at around 4am, but I wasn't brave enough to pull up the zip and have a look around, I just pulled up my sleeping bag and went back to sleep....and on the dot of 11am the next morning they were all on their way. As a group we were all parked close together, and as such felt much more safe and secure. I don't think I'd have slept so well if I'd been on my own, or even if it had just been J and I...

As for the diet...well, it kind of went out of the window... My lift had agreed that we would shop for grub on the way up, so I didn't pack any food other than a couple of small single-serving cereal boxes for brekkie. Well I was fed royally all weekend by everyone...but I wasn't brave enough to count points (YIKES!) Its weigh-in day today, and I'm swallowing down all the water, fruit and veg that I can...I'm hoping that all my good food behaviour all week will make up for a weekend of beer and BBQ debauchery ...I'm looking forward to stepping on the scales this evening with a kind of curious anticipation...its a need to know

No comments: