Monday, October 08, 2007

A Matter of Excercise - making a plan!

I think its time to get serious about exercise...OK, I have six dogs here at home, and they get walked everyday....but I have been walking dogs everyday since I was given my very own dog (in a multi-dog family home where there were always several), Trouble - a female terrier cross, when I was 16 years old....so I have been walking dogs almost every day for the last 17 years (those clever clogs out there will now know I'm 33 [grin]) and my theory is that my body is used to this regular exercise, and thus I have gained weight in spite of this daily walk.
So in order to boost my body into letting go of even more of that weight I need to exercise MORE.

I have a few options open to me....I could walk the dogs for a little longer each day.
I could go on a separate walk, and walk harder, at another time of day.
I could go to a gym.
I could work out at home.

So here's my plan.

I feel if I just walk the dogs longer this won't have enough of an impact. I'm not necessarily striding out throughout the whole walk....its more of an amble, a chance for the mutts to stretch their legs, empty their bladders, sniff all those new sniffs and checkout their favourite places, and for me its a chance to switch off and wind down.
The 'gym' idea is out too...I don't have one very near. The closest one is a half hour drive...and I just know I wouldn't keep it up, so why set myself to fail? I also couldn't afford to go regularly...so we'll strike 'gym' off that list right now.

So this leaves me with two options remaining
1) to go for a walk on my own, without any canine distractions, and walk out properly. Maybe bring along the MP3 player, and lose myself in some music while I stride along.
2) To work out at home. I've a video workout that I bought a year or so ago (and *NEVER* followed, not even once), and that is Davina McCall's Power Of 3
And I've got a great book, again I've read it but never followed it, and that is Joyce L Vedral's 12-Minute Total Workout. I even bought myself a couple of proper 2 lb weights to use with this book recently...but still haven't done anything.

I don't want to dive in, do too much, too soon, and put myself off. I know my own psyche and again, I don't want to set myself up to fail. I need to make a small commitment now, one I know I can stick with and make into a habit....and once the daily habit is formed I can take it further and introduce more. One that will overcome the "I can't be bothered", and replace it with "sure it'll only take a short while, lets go!"

I hereby pledge, on my blog, in public, to try to do something new every day for the next 3 weeks. Don't they say it takes 21 days to form a habit?
On Mondays, Wednesday and Thursdays I will do a short workout from the video.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays I will do something out of Ms Verdal's book.
At the weekends I will go for a nice walk, without the dogs, in someplace new.
If, for whatever reason, I can't do any of these things (work, out, away etc) I will make an effort to go for at least a 20 minute walk instead...
When I've done whatever I'm doing for that day I *will* blog it, and make that a habit too.
Catch you all tomorrow, after my 12-minutes weight session!

If anyone has any knowledge of the two workout items I mentioned, the video and the book, or any opinions on my plan of action...please sing out. I love hearing from you.

No comments: