Thursday, September 27, 2007

Time To Go Sloe

This morning we had our first good frost, heralding in my favourite time of year, the Autumn. (or 'Fall' for our friends across the Atlantic).
It was truly glorious out romping with the dogs in the fields this morning. A really crisp day.

So today is the day to get picking my sloes. Traditionally you wait for the first frost...which can be a bit nail-biting here in Ireland, as we're just east of the Gulf Stream, so some winter's we don't get frosts at all, or they start very late in the year. My own rule of thumb is to pick by the end of September if we've had no frosts by then.

For more information on what a 'sloe' is look HERE

And what will I do with my freshly picked sloes? Well I'm going to make Sloe Gin of course!
Always a very well received and popular Christmas present....and this year, for the first time, when I've decanted my sloe gin in a couple of months, I'm going to try the Sloe Chocolate recipe, for family members too.
Whilst my current dieting lifestyle ought to prohibit me from eating the chocolates, I think I'm going to have to try one, maybe two.....just for quality control purposes of course *LOL*

A few more indoors chores to do, including checking out that all is well in Internet-land [grin] and then its time to go Sloe!

No comments: