Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Pounds and Stones

A couple of comments got me thinking about stones.

Naively I assumed everyone knew what a stone was, so these comments surprised me. Then I looked into it a little....and it seems its one of those curious things we use here in the British Isles, and doesn't seem to be used anywhere else. So apologies to those who were confused by my reference to stones in regard to weight. And here, just for you guys, is a little explanation of what a stone is, with regard to weight.

1 stone = 14 lbs

So, 10 stone is 140 lbs
A little maths for you
My current weight is recorded at 21 stone 3 lbs, recorded on here as 297 lbs
So, 21 X 14 = 294, plus 3 = 297
Get it?

In my Weight Watchers class, every time we lose a stone in weight our leader gives us a small coloured glass stone to symbolise this, just a bit of fun...I assume this happens in other Weight Watchers classes across the British Isles, and would be grateful for info from other Uk and Ireland WW-ers.
We also get Silver Seven stickers for every 7lbs we lose...which symbolises 7 pounds (or half a stone) lost. Does this happen anywhere else?

Any questions about stones, please don't hesitate to shout out.

Wikipedia has a great explanation of the use of the stone as a weight measure
HERE Enjoy!

1 comment:

Diana Swallow said...

You did a great job explaining the stone to pound conversion, where were you 10 years ago when I first encountered this whole mysterious stone thing LOL.

I haven't been to WW in years but I recall getting a little star for every 5 pounds lost, kinda a rip off when you think about it

35 pounds lost in USA = 7 stars
35 pounds lost in UK = 5 stars

Yeah its late and I'm feeling silly!